Promoting British Values
We promoting British values throughout the curriculum. This includes direct teaching but also through other planned teaching, assemblies and within the fabric of everything we do at Blisworth School. Further details can be found here.
PSHE including Sex and Relationships
The National curriculum requires every school to have a broad and balanced curriculum which:
- Promotes the spiritual, moral, cultural, mental and physical development of its pupils
- Prepares pupils for the opportunities, responsibilities and experiences of later life
- Promotes British values
In addition, schools have statutory responsibilities to promote pupil well-being and ensure safeguarding (Children Act 2004) and community cohesion (Education Act 2006).
From September 2019, Blisworth School adopted a new PSHE scheme, Jigsaw, which is a comprehensive whole school PSHE scheme that runs from Reception through to Year 6. Jigsaw enables a whole-school approach to PSHE, which allows these values and learning experiences to be embedded throughout the curriculum.
PSHE lessons at Blisworth
- Lessons are planned, timetabled and taught every week in each year group.
- The lessons follow the Jigsaw format, which includes an icebreaker game, five minutes of ‘calm me’ time (mindfulness), teacher input and an independent learning or reflection task.
- Each lesson has a learning objective that is shared with the children.
- Lessons teach content and vocabulary at an age-appropriate level that is relevant and purposeful to the children
- Lessons are supported by whole school assemblies, key stage assemblies and awareness weeks such as ‘Friendship and Anti-Bullying Week’
Each half term, there is a different whole school PSHE theme, which is taught within each class at a level accessible by the children (dependent on their age and understanding). They are as follows:
Autumn Term 1: Being Me in My World
Autumn Term 2: Celebrating Difference
Spring Term 1: Dreams and Goals
Spring Term 2: Healthy Me
Summer Term 1: Relationships
Summer Term 2: Changing Me
Relationships and Sex Education (RSE)
Relationships and Sex Education is taught in the Summer Term within the themes ‘Relationships’ and ‘Changing Me’.
RSE will become statutory in September 2020. The statutory guidance can be found here: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/relationships-education-relationships-and-sex-education-rse-and-health-education.
Our policy detailing RSE at Blisworth is being finalised, with the views of parents being taken into consideration. These were collected at a parent consultation meeting on 10/12/19.